GrindSpaceXL-Kingston (GSXL-K) is an intensive 12-week program that helps high-potential startups to improve customer traction, grow sales, and prepare for investment. Successful applicants will participate in highly interactive workshops and receive individualized mentoring and support from experienced entrepreneurs and advisors.
The GSXL-K program is hosted at Innovation Park at Queen’s University (945 Princess Street), a technology development hub and innovation community that offers shared work, lab and meeting spaces in addition to providing services to tech startups to help develop and grow their businesses.
Over 34 companies have graduated from GSXL-K to date since the 2014 pilot in Kingston, and the program continues to receive praise from participants for helping them to refine their business models and improve sales effectiveness. Join our growing alumni community!
The program is open to incorporated companies commercializing technology-based products or services that are headquartered and operating in Canada. The cohort-based program offers early-stage ventures the opportunity to engage with other motivated entrepreneurs while working on deliverables laid out in a personalized development plan based on a needs assessment. Queen’s and Launch Lab also provide support to participating entrepreneurs and startups following graduation from GSXL-K , including facilitating access to funding opportunities and other resources, and making connections to partners and collaborators including Invest Ottawa and L-SPARK.
Who Should Apply?
- Founders of innovative companies who are looking to improve their venture through coaching and resources
- Founders willing to commit and actively engage in 12 weeks of programming (one day per week) in Kingston, Ontario
- Companies incorporated in Canada (any jurisdiction)
- Companies that have a technology or innovative idea that they are currently developing
- Companies that have the potential to scale up
GrindSpaceXL-Kingston helps move your company from prototype to product to revenue. To help you make this leap from a promising venture to a great company, GSXL-K offers a 12-week program that delivers:
- Targeted and intensive entrepreneurship training, including business model development and B2B sales
- One-on-one mentorship from experienced entrepreneurs and advisors
- Opportunities to hone and deliver your pitch to advisors and investors
- Accelerated business development within a structured environment
- An opportunity to work and learn together with other motivated founders in a collegial and fun atmosphere
From customer discovery to product validation, from business model canvas development to due diligence consideration, intellectual property information, finance and investment thoughts, and pitching help and practice, this program was just what I needed!
– Lisa Hallsworth, Co-Founder & President, Rillea Technologies Inc., and a graduate of the GSXL-K program in 2016.
Our time in GrindSpaceXL forced us to constantly look at our decisions and understand what would carry value for our customers. Constantly putting the customer first has allowed better adoption within our industry.
– Matthew Gubasta, Co-founder and CFO, RockMass Technologies, graduate from the GSXL-K program and the Dunin-Deshpande Queen’s Innovation Centre Summer Initiative in 2016.
- May 15 – Applications open
- June 12 – Information Session
- August 8 – Applications close
- August 22 – Pitch invitations sent to shortlisted candidates
- August 30 – Pitch day
- August 31 – Successful applicants notified
- September 10 – First day of GrindSpaceXL program
For more information about GrindSpaceXL-Kingston and the eligibility requirements, please contact Rick Boswell.